For under 18s we work with specialist International Student Schools that offer a wide range of subjects for the younger student. This can be the first time that younger students mix in a multi cultural environment and the positive impact this has can help shape their personality and bring memories and friendships that last a lifetime.
Under 18’s Overview
Travex Solution welcomes students who are under the age of 18 years and treats all students as independent, mature individuals. However, Travex Solution acknowledges that anyone under the age of 18 living in England is legally a child and recognises that these students may therefore have additional needs in relation to their support and welfare.
- Parents are sent an information pack with rules and regulations, consent forms and including advice for staying in The UK before you arrive in England.
- On arrival, we can provide a door to door, meet and greet transfer service straight to accommodation for new students.
- On your first day at school, we will give you an induction which will include important information regarding rules and regulations, health and safety and life in the UK.
- You will also receive an Under 18s Handbook with information about living with your host family, UK Law for under 18s, contact numbers and things to do in Bournemouth. You will also be given a School Code of Conduct and a feedback form (this is to ensure that you are happy with your classes and homestay during your first 2-3 days).
- United World believes that the welfare of students is extremely important. Parents can be sure that their child will be learning in a safe environment. A number of our staff are trained in safeguarding children and we have first aiders on site at all times.
- If you come to United World as a private student (not part of an organised group or closed group), you will join classes with adults and a consent form will be requested from parents to allow this.
Curfew times for 16 & 17 year olds is 10.30 pm Monday – Sunday unless another curfew time is agreed with both parents (on consent form) and host family.
Organised Groups / Closed Groups & Junior Mini Stays
Organised groups can be integrated into the main school lessons if necessary. This encourages students to practise speaking more English and to interact with classmates of different cultures.
Junior mini stays are organised in closed groups with a separate timetable to the 16+
Students are tested on arrival to determine their level and put into appropriate classes according to their results.
Classes are morning 9-11 and 12-2. (20 lessons per week)
Lessons are age appropriate, communicative and fun with emphasis on working collaboratively with peers and teachers in an environment condusive to confidence building.
- You will have skills practice : reading, writing, listening and speaking
- Everyday English: using functional language, writing letters, conversational skills
- Project Work: Each week you will work on a different project in groups. The project will be chosen to complement the topic and language area of the week. Projects may include posters and oral presentations, a play, songs or role-play.
- Every Friday, project work is presented to the class, who will then vote which one is the best. The winning team will receive a prize
- If you require a taxi pick-up and drop-off to and from school every school day this can be arranged for you at extra cost.
- If you prefer to take the bus, yellow bus passes can be purchased from the school reception.
Afternoon activities may include sports such as beach volleyball, football, treasure hunts and half day excursions.
Evening activities can include quiz nights, film nights and Karaoke.
These activities are led by ‘Activity Leaders’ and there is always someone who is trained in first aid and safeguarding on duty.
Half day excursions can include trips to The Jurassic Coast-Lulworth and Durdle Door (World Heritage Site), Swanage and Corfe, Christchurch, Moors Valley.
Other full day trips include London, Oxford and Bath.